"Old Newburgh Court House"
Designed by Newburgh architect Thornton M. Niven, this old courthouse so impressed village citizens that they raised the funds to buy the entire square block and surround it with a public park in 1841. Orange County in the 19th century held court in two shires, Newburgh and Goshen, and the Goshen 1841 courthouse is also a Niven design. A jail was originally located in the basement and later a bigger jail was built in an 1892 addition along the western facade. Court proceedings were consolidated in Goshen with the building of the Orange County Government Center and in 1973 the old Newburgh courthouse was extensively remodeled into county offices It is now serving as the Newburgh Heritage Center and houses some city offices including that of the City Historian.
Cards and Prints are available Click here for information about placing an order.